At Bankfields Primary School, it is our intention to provide pupils with an engaging and aspirational education in English that will develop our pupils’ ability to communicate in debates and discussions with great fluency, master the mechanics of both reading and writing to develop a love and a true passion for English, so that they can share their thoughts, ideas and emotions effectively in school and the wider world. It is our intention to immerse pupils in the wonders of high-quality books to instil a love of reading-not just for childhood, but for life!
Through our creative English curriculum, it is our aim to a ignite a love of writing underpinned by a sound understanding of grammatical constructs and spelling strategies. Writing is an integral part of our whole curriculum; all pupils are provided with many opportunities to develop and apply their writing skills across the curriculum. It is our intention that pupils develop a clear understanding of the writing process in order to establish themselves as independent authors. Pupils are taken on a writing journey, which builds their knowledge of writing in context and establishes a clear purpose for writing.
Pupils are provided with opportunities to explore a variety of genres through text interrogation of model texts to develop their knowledge of language and organisational features for a range of genres. It is our intention to broaden our pupils’ exposure to high level vocabulary to allow pupils to apply their understanding of vocabulary and grammatical features within and across the English curriculum to enable our pupils to communicate creatively and imaginatively, using Standard English.
Aims from the National Curriculum
English aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
English is a core subject and at the heart of everything we teach here at Bankfields Primary school. As English subject leader, I am passionate about ensuring that our pupils have access to a range of high-quality books throughout their time with us in order to develop a love of reading- not just for childhood, but for life! Children here at Bankfields enjoy expressing themselves creatively through their writing and on stage in regular musical productions. Their love of ambitious vocabulary and knowledge of grammatical concepts is developed in language-rich classrooms, and then applied when writing independently for a range of purposes and audiences.